Online Opportunities Belgium: Way With Words Group

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Way With Words Group

Similar sites to Scribie.com is the Way With Words Group. Not exactly the same because the requirements and qualifications to become a transcriber are different.

Way With Words is a UK/South Africa company that accepts English transcribers from all over the world.

Essentials:

1. high-speed internet connection
2. computer
3. commitment of at least 20 hours per week
4. MS messenger ID
5. typing speed of at least 50wpm

Types of transcription files:

medical reports
legal transcription
academic files
media files
workshops
training sessions

The most important aspect is that you pass a 2-part test consisting of an English proficiency test and a transcription test (Britney and Justin). The audio test apparently consists of three rounds.

The first part of the test was really difficult and I cannot imagine people would actually speak in such a manner. The homepage states that only 2% to 5% of applicants make it through the first phase. I believe this since I failed the test. It gave me a headache reading and rereading the 12 multiple choice sentences. The paragraphs were even worse and frankly, I did not think at that time that it was the kind of transcription work that I would like to do.

I sped through the exam knowing fully well that I will fail. But then, this is a professional company and I guess, I am not just meant to do transcription work as a source of income.

However, for professional transcribers, this is a good opportunity to earn a decent amount of money. The pay rate is from $30 to $45 per hour of transcribed files. I just thought that this could be an opportunity for others who are already into transcription or have been trained to do specific transcription work.

No comments:

Post a Comment